Book Gems with Ms. Jewell
A resource for teens, teachers, and librarians to find really good reads. These books are honestly reviewed and thoughtfully curated so that you can read only the books that are true gems.
- ThunderheadIn a world where Scythes must glean in order to keep the human population manageable, two teens are tested in ways that they never expected in the thrilling sequel to Scythe.
- She Persisted: Harriet TubmanThe compelling story of Harriet Tubman and her unwavering efforts to free slaves via the Underground Railroad. Perfect for younger readers who want an introduction to this historic figure.
- Girls on the LineTwo Chinese orphans try to make their way in the world of factory work, fighting for freedom, friendship, and their futures, even though the odds are stacked against them in a world that seems them as little more than a number.
- The Book of Lost NamesEva is a quiet widow who on an ordinary day sees an image in a newspaper that transports her back to war-torn Europe and leads her to fly to Germany in search of a book that represents all the lives she helped save during the Nazi’s tyranny.
- The Cold VanishNorth America’s National Parks, forests, and wild spaces are beautiful and alluring, but dangerous and lead to thousands of Search and Rescue efforts each year as trekkers go missing. Explore one such case in Washington State’s Olympic National Park following the disappearance of a young man who leaves behind no clues.
- AdmissionChloe never thought that her parents doubted her ability to get into college, but when her mom is arrested for bribing admissions officers at a nearby university, she questions everything and can’t help but wonder how much of the truth she was hiding from herself.
- Echo IslandFour friends return from a post-graduation camping trip only to find that their island home is completely deserted. What happened and what does it mean for each of them?
- The CousinsWhen three cousins are requested to spend the summer at their estranged grandmother’s resort, they reluctantly agree. Quickly they realize that their family history might be a lie and their lives might be in danger.
- The Great Gatsby: A Graphic NovelThe timeless story of The Great Gatsby – and the lushness of 1920s opulence – comes to life with vivid watercolor illustrations in this graphic novel adaptation.
Looking for a Specific Type of Book? Click here for Books by Category!
Students Love Book Gems
Book Gems makes it easy for teens of all reading levels to find a book that interests them. Each unique review offers multiple ratings with an honest adult review and thoughtful student input. Plus, the reviews give you insight into any blush-worthy moments that may need to be discussed during book talks or presentations.
Educators Love Book Gems
Teachers and librarians appreciate the curated questions, the honest input (“Would I buy this for my library?”) and the educator insight. Educators don’t have the luxury of reading every book – Book Gems makes it easier to find good books that you can bring into your classroom and gives you a heads up about any sensitive topics.
unique ratings per read
discussion questions per book
Looking to purchase books?
Visit my Bookshop to purchase the title here and many others.
Reviews are honest and original. Thanks to Netgalley, Edelweiss and Volumes for review editions. Frame vector created by BiZkettE1 – www.freepik.com which was the foundation of my banner art.